Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

A Fantastic Recipe...and important blogging tip.

Well, I was just writing this amazing post about why I am avoiding meat and how it has helped me, and I hit a key and lost everything. Note to self-save, save, save.

So maybe you weren't meant to read the whole boring story and so I will get right to the recipe. Kids love this, adults love this, vegatarians and omnivores alike love this. It's call Artichoke-White Bean Bruschetta.

Ingredients:
1 can cannelini or white beans, very well rinsed and drained
1 large jar or can of artichoke hearts (about 8 hearts)
roasted or regular minced garlic to taste-about 1 tsp works well.
zest and juice from one small lemon
freshly ground white pepper and salt to taste
1/4 cup or more parmigiano-reggiano grated cheese (omit for vegan version)
1/2 tsp Herbes de Provence softened in a litle EVOO

Put all ingredients into a blender or food processor and process to a rustic, spreadable consistency. You will need to add olive oil as you go to acheive your desired consistency.

Alternately-and since I melted the bottom of my blender in the dishwasher this is the one I use now:

Mash beans in a bowl with a potato masher
Add all other ingredients...starting wtih about 1/8 cup olive oil and mix well. Continue to stir and mash or use a stick blender (now my best friend) and add olive oil as needed to acheive desired consistency.

This is great on toasted or broiled sliced baguette that has been brushed with olive oil before broiling or toasting. You can also use assorted veggies to scoop up the goodness. Another thing I love is to use tiny whole wheat pitas. I warm them in my toaster oven (set at 425 or so) after brushing both sides with olive oil. When they are warm and soft I take them out and spread the paste on them or stuff a larger pita half witht he mixture. For crunch try adding sliced radishes.
extra virgin olive oil-the better the quality, the better the spread. Garnish with chopped fresh italian parsley or herb of choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment